USAJOBS is the official website for federal government jobs and where you’ll find nearly all government job opening announcements. They contain details about duties, minimum qualifications, salary range and basic benefits. With thousands of announcements to sift through, searching for the perfect position on USAJOBS may seem daunting. However, with step-by-step instructions and a few tips, you’ll be on your way to finding the right job for you!
Creating an account
To gain full access to USAJOBS, you’ll need to create an account. Provide your personal information and choose a username and password. An account allows you to:
- Save and automate job searches: Generate searches based on your preferences (location, schedule, amount of travel, etc.); receive the results in an automated email; and store up to 10 specific jobs of interest.
- Create and upload multiple versions of your resume: Build and save a master resume and create a copy to tailor the information to a specific position.
- Track the status of your applications: View your active applications and where each one is in the application process. You can also call the HR contact located at the bottom of a job announcement to ask questions you may have.
Searching for positions
There are several ways to search for the position that is right for you. Once you have determined your work priorities, you can narrow your search using the advanced search feature. You can refine search results by:
- Agency: Select one or more agencies or offices.
- Job categories: Click a specific occupation series or occupations related to college majors. Government categorizes its jobs with codes which you can type in the search bar to narrow down your field of interest.
- Grade: Select a GS grade level – which in government defines job responsibility and compensation – to focus on positions that match your experience level. Be realistic with your expectations; you may be hired at a lower salary and then advance rapidly.
- Work schedule and work type: Search for full-time and permanent positions or short-term or temporary assignments that last a few months or even a few years. This filter includes options for internships as well as positions for recent graduates and student jobs through the Pathways Programs..
- Location: Look for jobs according to your geographic region by typing in your zip code and selecting a radius of five to 200 miles on the results page. You can also choose a specific city, state or country in the advanced search.
You can save search criteria on USAJOBS to help you look for jobs. You will receive an email when a new job is posted that meets your search criteria. You can save up to 10 different sets of criteria. For example, with varying locations or job titles and manage aspects of them at any time.
Check out this video to view the changes that have come to USAJOBS.
Narrow your results using filters. You can limit your search by location, agency, occupational series number and more.